© Copyright 2006 J. Banfill. All Rights Reserved.Legal Notice
First Grade Hands-On Activities
- Count and determine the value of a collection of the same type of
coins (pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters) whose total value is $1.00 or less.
- Count and determine the value of a mixed collection of coins (combinations
of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters) whose total value is $1.00 or less.
- Know the exchange value of coins. For example, how many nickels have the same value
as a dime.
- Measure weight and length with non-standard measurements. For example, how many
paper clip lengths are the same as the length and width of a piece of paper.
- Compare the capacities of two containers and describe the relative capacities as
holding more, less or the same, or being larger, smaller or the same size.
- Compare the weight of two objects using a scale or balance and describe the relative
weight as heavier, lighter or the same weight.
- Compare the length of two objects and describe the relative length as longer,
shorter or the same length. Learn the terms taller, shorter, wider and narrower.
- Describe how objects are located in space in relation to other objects such as
near, far, close by, below, above, up, down, beside, next to, to the right of, to
the left of etc.
- Draw geometric figures such as circles, triangles, rectangles and squares.
- Describe common geometric figures by the number of straight or curved sides,
angles, corners and square corners.
- Find geometric shapes in common objects (circles, squares, triangles, rectangles).
- Display collected information in an object graph. Describe the categories by
the relative terms more, less, fewer, greater than, less than and about equal.
- Sort and classify objects by similar characteristics, e.g. circles, squares,
- Sort and classify objects by two characteristics, e.g. blue triangles, large
- Create, recognize, describe and extend a variety of patterns such as numbers,
letters, shapes, colors, size, rhythmic and actions.